Extended Learning Program (ELP)
Carlisle Community Schools support a comprehensive K-12 Extended Learning Program to meet the needs of gifted and talented students.
It is the mission of the Carlisle Extended Learning Program to extend and enrich the learning of high level learners in a challenging and rigorous learning environment.
- Extended Learning Programming is most effective when it’s integrated within the Carlisle educational system.
- It is the responsibility of ELP teachers, classroom teachers, support staff, parents, students and administration to work collaboratively to ensure the needs of gifted learners are met.
- Gifted learners need opportunities to explore their passions and interests in order to develop their talents, promote self-direction and encourage life-long learning.
- Extended Learning Programming is best provided through a flexible framework in order to meet the unique cognitive and affective needs of gifted learners.
- Gifted learners require qualitatively differentiated curriculum and instruction that includes, but is not limited to, increased rigor, appropriate pacing and/or acceleration.
- A comprehensive identification system is integral to determining a gifted learner’s programming.
District ELP Guidebook